washer

Goodnight my love Remember me as you fall to sleep Fill your pockets with the dust and the memories That rises from the shoes on my feet I won't be back here Though we may meet again I know it's dark outside Don't be afraid Everytime I ever cried from fear Was just a mistake that I made Wash yourself in your tears And build your church On the strength of your faith Please Listen to me Don't let go Don't let this desperate moonlight leave me With your empty pillow Promise me the sun will rise again I too am tired now Embracing thoughts of tonight's dreamless sleep My head is empty My toes are warm I am safe from harm...

Sunday, November 26, 2023

soul love 22 nov 22


I was so terribly acquainted with his face. 

–They say if you love an artist, you’ll live forever.

–Well, that's very nice. Keep still.

I remember those same words, repeating over and over in my studio

and all over the city. I recall every place where


we shared this exchange through the years we cradled.

It's cemented in my mind, it's familiar. If i close my eyes

I’m sure i can still hear it resonating through the stuffed

out halls of our apartment. Because i do this often.


I remember him perfectly, as I knew him perfectly.

His face and his shoulders, mostly. His body as well.

I remember his legs and the exact position of his oldest

childhood scar over his knobby, pale knee.
I remember its color. I remember it looked strangely

white over his knees which, like his elbows, always seemed

to flare pink. Like he had been kneeling or laying over his elbows.

His shoulders were small and boney. I remember the line of his

collarbone curve up to the sides of his frame. I

remember the middle, the tip of his drained

sternum, looking hollow.


–¿What are you up to?

–Not much.

–Dont seem like it. 

–Just a landscape.

–Let me see.


I remember that hands were thin and long, like spiders. I always

took special care to portray them correctly. He lifted the canvas.

I studied his movements, his protruding knuckles, the smallest

blemishes over the peaks of them. As a kid, his father wanted him

to become a wrestler. He wanted to be a dancer, or a painter. He became

a quiet musician, a mute poet, but mostly a half-alcoholic hermit

and slight banker like his old man. He carried himself with a great

posture despite his great stature. I barely recall that detail.


I remember he was awfully tall, ran in the family. It seemed less

prominent with a frame like his. Like a small woman,

ribs like a cats.


I remember how he was slow moving. He took my sketchbook

up to see it proper. I looked at the movements of his eyes. I

remember his irises so perfectly. Grey infested green. His left eye

had a small spot the color of dry moss right below the pupil.

His eyelashes were long and thick, but would drag down, like

silk fans. If you were to look from a matching angle, everytime he looked

at the floor it seemed like he was in a peaceful sleep. 


I remember the way his muted waterline curved into his lashline,

and the way his eyelid seemed so thin. Under the light,

one could see his iris. His eyes were a dull flame, closer to

death than birth. I remember the way his eyelids folded as he

held my sketchbooks up, as to examine them better. He had an

ordinary face but possessed a strange beauty. 

I remember how his skin draped over his sternum like wet

cloth over metal. Every part of his body was a ghastly

vision.


I remember it well. The exact way that his mouth curved.

He had a slight asymmetry. He slept on his right, so the right

side of his mouth would crawl slightly higher than the left.

From the center to the ends, they would go up slightly, at about

the same rate as his cupid's bow, perfectly brisk. Then, they

would bow lower, and end in a tiny smirk. The ends of his mouth

were dimpled and low. His lips were thin and their

edges were sharp.


–Its beautiful. youve outdone yourself.

–You always say that.

–I always mean it.


His teeth were rounded, damaged, small. But not too small

. I could not see many teeth when he smiled, his mouth

was not big. His forehead was high.


His cheekbones were the same. He was all angles, shadows

and cavities. High and mathematically correct. His chin into

his jaw, shadowing into his ear, shadowing into his cheekbone,

molding into his delicate, short nose. The tip casted a shadow

onto his philtrum. Carefully, it seemed. His eyes on each side

of his stout bridge, his lashes casting a shadow onto the whites

of his eyes. His eyelids shadowed into his temples, into his hair. 


But I didn't have to look at him. I knew it all. I knew how

everything looked, at each angle and with every lighting.

I remember how he looked like laying down and on his feet.

Nude and fully draped. I remember the exact course his

blood rushed down his nose when he got too drunk or dehydrated.

After I cleaned him up, I ran my finger through that path as

he started fading into sleep. His hair, each curl, where it l

anded on his face or his neck. I remember which spines of

his protruded more than others, I remember how each bone

and muscle looked at each pose. 


I could draw him, sculpt him from memory. I could, closing

my eyes, make an exact replica. I can, from thin air, pin the

exact dimensions and the exact placements. His high brows,

his stretched eyes, I could create a palette of every single color

on his body if you gave me a place and hour, given we were

talking daylight. Light source and color, given we were talking

artificial light. I remember how his legs stretched. Not muscular,

thin. Not soft, really. Solid enough for him to walk so much.

He walked a lot. The exact peach for his lips, exact blue, gray

and green for each strand of his iris, the exact brown of his hair,

the exact pinks id have to mix with the yellows to create

the perfect beige for his skin.


I remember him perfectly, i remember how thin his skin felt,

i remember how his ribs felt under my hand. I remember how

the exact weight of his skull when i lifted it to put a pillow

under his head, his habit of falling asleep on the table.

His arms crossed, right over left. His legs stretched and his feet

pointing up.


–It really is beautiful. You are very talented. I wish you could see

yourself like I do.

–I don't think I need to. 


And its true. I didnt need to at the time. I kept looking at him.


I remember his natural scent and his favorite perfume over it.

I remember it after five minutes and five hours. I remember his

voice after a night out screaming, after a day in crying, after hot tea,

after a pack of cigarettes. I remember the cigarettes on his breath,

mostly when we slept together, which was not most days. I remember

the pattern he took when rolling in bed. I knew every passing

thought. If he wanted to have sex, I could tell from the night

before. If he was going to break

into tears, i could tell why and for how long and with which severity

a full day or two before it happened. I just knew him like that. I remember

it perfectly. I think I still do, at least. wherever he is.



No comments:

Post a Comment